Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Next Novel: Cursor Battle, Momentary Stall and the Accustory Blank Page

After a decade of focused intent the deed is done - the novel completed and set aside; it undergoes another journey of dissemination (one in which the painstaking parental pen has no part) flung out to the virtual skies, buffeted by the vagaries of public opinion; at times, doubtlessly, utterly indiscernible in the dark pall of sullen cloudbanks, but perhaps, if I am lucky, to light incandescent in an intermittent stream of appreciated receptivity.

But now another thought-stream rises to the surface, a turbulent suggestion of fictional possibility...and the germ of the next novel is born - a rather small and indistinguishable thing as of yet, but imbued with the most glorious of potential. My literary focus shifts across the oceans, and backward fifty years in time to the mid-eighteenth century: the nutmeg hangs heavy and ripe beneath glossy leaves, cloves scent the winds, and the Europeans do bloody battle in their wallowing carracks seeking to dominate access and supply of a few dried seeds that grow nowhere else in the world.  A remote time and place that shifts and blurs in my peripheral vision, replete with an energetic frisson as if the past has been whispered in my ear, made manifest in a pictorial stream of sensory impressions - for I do not write the past as much as I perceive it from the vantage point of utter immersion. I taste it on my tongue, inhale it through my pores, feel it with a visceral intensity - and then attempt the oft-arduous task of depicting it in words - to cast it in black and white upon the blank page in the fervent hope that such sensory ferocity can indeed be so translated.

Several such scenes have come to rather satisfactory fruition. In a torrid of writing, in a frenzy of flying fingers and racing mind, the characters begin to take shape. It is, however, an outline of them, an alluring shadow, hinting at the elaborated dimensionality of flesh in chapters to come; an authorial promise made most solemnly, a pledge to the attentive reader: "Bear with me - there is something marvelous yet to come!" I have not seen yet how these disparate threads resolve, but the unraveling of it is a gradual and intermittent affair - coming in tentative half-thoughts, gossamer threads that glide through the recesses of my mind in the dim hours of half-sleep, or in a rush and noise of great enthusiasm, and I will fly to the computer - hunched and tense, laboring over word selection....feeling the performance pressure, as if the characters themselves examine my efforts from the shadows with crossed arms and critical gaze...

Then abruptly: a stall, a standstill, a grinding and unwelcome halt. The cursor blinks; the steady repetitive monotonousness of that perpetual wink - as if a literary eye opens and closes in sly commiseration. Well? the cursor seems to ask: Well? What now? What grand procession have you planned? For some it is the blankness of the oncoming page that terrifies....what does one fill it with? I find that I do battle with the cursor, the rhythmic flicker waits like some preternaturally forbearing beast, enduring in imperturbable silence, craving a succession of words. I will emerge triumphant, even if ten long years are required to do so. The beast (of which an infinite variety populate my literary world - indubitably preferred to the placidity of beauties) will be fed...and hopefully, at the end of such endeavor, conclude that the procession was worth the effort after all.

For the cursor pulses to a cadence echoed within our imaginative selves...poised on the brink, hesitating, searching, pondering, waiting, then in a burst of intensity, a spill of words, a gushing torrent that paint a scene...then a momentary stall, and the cursor again waits in silence...long-suffering, unwearied. It is appeased by a paltry offering, by a hasty phrase, incomplete and lacking in substance; for the cursor knows that while it hungers for words, you must be satisfied with the coherent quality of the whole - and those passages that linger unsettled in the authorial mind will be revisited, and unceremoniously booted or spruced up with all necessary spit and polish like a recalcitrant child before a grandparent's visit. For the writer will not settle. It is part of the authorial contract with all prospective readers - a commitment to the highest levels of literary ability. Perhaps then, the cursor is less an unfriendly accusatory than it is a patient ally - waiting, in magical symbiosis with our own literary sparks, to bring to leaping fire the marvelous narrative that dwells within.

Perhaps the conventional literary angst that revolves around the blank page is of a similar nature - and that the page also can be visualized in a more affable light: waiting with all eager expectation for the spill of ink that is to come...for inherently the cursor, or the page, find an existential angst in the blankness, emptiness, nothingness of un-inscribed space - and yearn to be written upon, to find the languid ease of an onward narrative flow, to facilitate a literary work, to ultimately be something more useful, more substantial, than an absence thereof. What is it that intimidates us about the blank page, the steadily blinking cursor? Is it the empty sterility of a broad white expanse? Perhaps it is the hovering expectation of meaningful fulfillment? The relentless quest for a literary achievement that silences our inner critic? That of all the sundry things written before, this phrase, this passage, this scene, this novel, has something worthwhile about it - a literary contribution worthy of the years of painstaking labor required to bring it to fruition. A pressure, however unconsciously felt, that gives pause to the pen.

As long as we have air to breath, and food (wine, and coffee!) to sustain us - we will be yet again and again drawn to the computer, wrenched out of quotidian tasks, the keyboards pulling with the unremitting gravity of a black hole (for do we not disappear to daily life when deeply engaged?)  For inevitably (given our own obdurate perseverance in the literary task) the tome will, one day, be done. And the blank page will thirst no more, and the cursor will finally be replete. And we? We will be the happiest of mortals.

10 comments:

  1. Marvelous, PJ!! For which writers among us have not felt that anxious uncertainty at the sight of the blank page and the blinking cursor???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Yes - finding a way to overcome that uncertainty is all - is it not? Thank you for your visit and your lovely comment!
      Warm regards, PJ

      Delete
  2. PJ, the paradox lies in the fact that someone who can write such a literary jewel about the blank page can fall prey to the anguish of a blank page. Yet even the great among the great have experienced these very same feelings, although few have been courageous enough to voice them. Protection of their public persona stays their hand and tongue. Thank you for being great and different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Marta, for your kind words - I suppose it never occurred to me to be anything other than openly forthcoming in regards to the literary enterprise in the hope that it might resonate with others facing similar challenges...it might also stem from an utter ignorance regarding appropriate (wise) public persona portrayal! However, I can, in the end, only be myself - and am simply so grateful to have found such a wonderfully supportive friend and fellow-writer as yourself!

      Delete
  3. I wrote a long spontaneous comment and the computer swallowed it whole. It is never the same a second time. I was saying that my next will be a novella, a story written in a dream. It started with being late for an examination and being given two questions. I had less than an hour. Now that was a cure for the blank page! The character who took centre stage has been waiting for five years...going back to him is rather like anticipating a lover...I can't wait to re-enter a shack in Vermont...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes - I am quite familiar with that predicament - I find that sometimes strategic banging on the rear section near the power outlet can, at times, restore text (computer burping it back up?)...or of course can cause irreparable damage...I look forward to hearing more of your novella - best of luck with the proceedings!!

      Delete
  4. PJ, you said it all in these words for me: As long as we have air to breath, and food (wine, and coffee!) to sustain us - we will be yet again and again drawn to the computer, wrenched out of quotidian tasks, the keyboards pulling with the unremitting gravity of a black hole (for do we not disappear to daily life when deeply engaged?) For inevitably (given our own obdurate perseverance in the literary task) the tome will, one day, be done. And the blank page will thirst no more, and the cursor will finally be replete. And we? We will be the happiest of mortals.

    We who write; who are driven, giving up personal lifes thrilled to be living in the 'realness' of our imaginations can do nothing but what you have stated regardless of our forms of writing. I can only speak for myself. There are days when I am so lonely, I feel like giving it all up not knowing if I have what it really takes. Then somethings hits me; be it something I read or an email, or someone who passes me by. That sudden thought, words I have to jot down and I and off and running again. So I 'bleed' out words until my eyes won't focus in the wee hours of the morning, hating to turn out the lights until dawn. But I know with the crack of dawn I will pick up where I left off. It is a life long quest I finally have entered and I can't shut the door of my mind on it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rachealgrace - thank you for your lovely comment - you are absolutely right...I think that perhaps the act of writing persists with us despite the gnawing angst and self-doubt, it is there like a persistent virus (albeit much more pleasant) that will demand expression irregardless of all else. The ultimate rewards are there for those of us that persist - and I wish you the very best of luck with yours!

      Delete
  5. Dear PJ, I wish to congratulate you on the newest venture as you approach the blank canvas and lay out the structure for the latest scenario of your current novel! How exciting and overwhelming at the same time! I wholeheartedly empathize with the curse of the blank cursor; the incessant cursor (which I have changed to a smiley face) is much like a tireless puppy who cannot get his fill of playing fetch with the ball or frisbee. No matter how many metaphors and complex clauses you toss to incredible lengths with historical panache and forethought, the quadruped rebounds boomerang-style with split-second reflexes begging for more. I am the one who tires first and opts for a break from the scene while the smiley face winks, "until we meet again!" (We have an open-ended relationship.) I wish you, your cursor and your canvas a very kindly and candid cohesiveness upon which you may create your upcoming masterpiece in the most marvelous manner as the maven we all know you to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shari - thank you my dear dear friend for your wonderful words and unstinting kind support. I love the tireless puppy analogy - a much sweeter version that the insatiable beast that plagues my computer - perhaps I could manufacture a trade-in? I find my literary world and my electronic interface rather over encumbered with beasts after all... :)

      Delete